Friday, May 13, 2011

The Dark Chocolate Lover's Chocolate Bar



A friend of mine who understands my addition to dark chocolate, recently brought me back several bars from Trader Joe's when she was in New York. I happened to open this one first and haven't gotten around to trying the others yet because this one is just way too tasty to put down.


At first I was a bit reluctant to try an 85% cocoa since I'm used to bars with a 72% content, similar to how there's a huge difference between getting a B or an A in school, there's also a big difference between the 70's and 80's when it comes to cocoa percentages in chocolate bars.


But with just one small bite I was instantly hooked! The chocolate is dry at first with a mild nutty smell but quickly becomes this intense flavour, taking over your tatesbuds, reminiscent of a double chocolate fudge cupcake!


I love being able to have one square of chocolate and feel like I'm eating a sinfully decadent cupcake. What's even better is that the higher cocoa content means you're getting more flavonoids so you don't have to feel guilty about your addiction. In fact, you should be quite pleased, as flavanoids have been shown to lower your blood pressure? (FYI: I happen to have very low blood pressure)


What's even more remarkable is that there are two chocolate bars tucked away inside the package, each individually wrapped (in case your friends make your share) and the bar retails for only $1.49 (U.S.) which means it's even cheaper in Canada!


Now if only Trader Joe's would open up on this side of the border...

No comments: